It is bad – enough, so many elected officials, don’t represent their constituents, or the nation’s best – interests, etc, but, perhaps, even – more disturbing, so many, accept it, and, even, keep voting for these individuals, who seem to clearly, care more about their personal/ political agenda, and/ or, self – interest, than, assuming their responsibilities! Why do we continue, seeing this, and, why, do voters, either, ignore, or pay insufficient attention, to seeking better service and representation? With that in mind, this article will attempt to, briefly, consider, examine, review, and discuss, 5 possible reasons, and why it matters.
1. Personal/ political agenda, and self – interests: We must demand better, and become more attentive voters, to prevent this pattern, from continuing! It becomes, especially, obvious, during times, like, we are presently experiencing, because of this horrific pandemic, and associated, health, and economic ramifications, that, many of these elected officials, lack the degree of genuine empathy, and/ or, don’t really care, unless/ until, it aligns with their personal/ political agenda, and/ or, self – interest. When, many of those, who supported the 2017 tax reform, which dramatically, favored, the wealthiest citizens, and corporations, and created a huge Federal deficit, stating, they are concerned with giving, greater financial support, to those, who need it, now! When, most economists, as well as the Federal Reserve leaders, proclaim, a significant, large stimulus is needed, or we will see, not only more suffering, but, prolonged, undesirable ramifications, it seems, fairly obvious, some care more about themselves, than their constituents, and/ or, the greater good!
2. Partisan politics: Partisan politics happens, and is fine, because, there are often, many reasons, and, even, benefits, to this! However, when every issue, becomes a partisan one, and there is little true effort, in bringing about any meeting – of – the – minds, for the common good, we should be concerned!
3. Service/ representation/ Politics over policy: Instead of, constant. politics – over – policy, we should demand, those we elect, prioritize maximizing service, and quality representation, for the greater good!
4. True, differing beliefs: Sometimes, there may be, true reasons, for differing beliefs, and approaches! Unfortunately, there is often, a fine – line, between genuine, differences of opinion, and, abuse of power!
5. Populism, versus, common sense priorities: Because of their wish to be (and fear of losing their position) reelected, many office – holders, articulate populist rhetoric, full of empty promises, etc. Unfortunately, we need, these individuals, to emphasize common sense, greater good, priorities!
Although, some elected officials, try their hardest, to create, viable solutions, for the greater good, far – too many, seem to prioritize their own personal/ political agenda, and/ or, self – interest! Wake up, America, and demand better!